Thursday 5 April 2012

Book Review: By the Light of the Silvery Moon by Tricia Goyer

About the Book: Amelia Gladstone's hopes are tied up in the Titanic--hopes for a reunion with her sister and an introduction to an admirer. But when she offers a spare ticket to a down-and-out young man, her fate is about to change.

Quentin Walpole is stunned when a sweet lady secures his passage to America--and even more surprised to find his wealthy father and older brother on board the ship. Suddenly Amelia finds herself caught between the attentions of two men, but who should she entrust her heart to? As the fateful night arrives, will Amelia lose everything to the icy waters?

My Thoughts: I've always been fascinated by the Titanic, I loved the blockbuster movie (and am going to see it again now that's out for the 100 yr anniversary), and we love cruising - so when I  heard that Tricia Goyer was writing a work of fiction that takes place on the Titanic - I jumped on board immediately! :)

I was not disappointed.

Goyer does an excellent job describing the ship and what it was like, without it feeling like boring commentary, but being detailed enough that you can almost see yourself on board this ill-fated vessel. And yet, despite the opulence and wonder of the ship, it was simply the background to a fantastic story.  I found myself reading faster and faster, knowing (obviously) about the ships impending demise, and anxiously wanting to find out what happens to the characters in the book.

A variation of the prodigal son parable, the storyline deals with family estrangements, misplaced guilt, loyalty, discernment and wise life choices, forgiveness and second chances, and, of course, love.

Two thumbs up from me!


Thank you to Stephanie and Amy from Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails