Friday, 12 July 2013

One Year Castiversary

I realized I never posted about this on the ole blog before, so I thought it would be good to post about it today - exactly one year after our first (hopefully last?) broken bone in our family.  Beware, this is a long, picture heavy post!

On June 13th (easy to remember because it's one of my nephew's birthdays), we had friends over for supper and the kids were all playing outside on our play structure (still in our "old" house on Settler's).  Olivia came inside crying that she hurt her wrist.  Being the incredibly sensitive mom that I am, I kissed her better and sent her back outside.  It didn't take long and she was back inside complaining that it still hurt.  Olivia doesn't complain about pain, so I knew it wasn't good.  I figured it was probably just sprained and said she could lie down and watch tv with an ice pack on.

I hemmed and hawed about whether or not to take her in for an xray.  I have no great love for emergency waiting rooms and hate to waste the doctor's time so I was definitely leaning towards not going.  But, I figured in this case maybe it was better safe than sorry, so the next morning we headed in to our local ER.

Turns out it was a good thing I took her in.  She had a greenstick fracture.  Basically this means that it didn't snap all the way - sort of like if you tried to snap a young, green stick of wood - it bends and splinters instead of breaks.  These are pretty common in young kids because their bones aren't as hard and brittle as adult bones are.  Thankfully, they also heal fairly fast.  She had to have a temporary cast put on for a week until the swelling would go down, and then she'd have a permanent one put on for about 4 weeks.  Not a great start to summer holidays which were just a couple short weeks away!

So, after she got her temporary cast, we went to Chicken Chef for lunch as a consolation prize.

One week later, (June 21st) we were back at the hospital to get the temporary cast removed.  Here she is posing with her temporary cast by the snack machine that I didn't let her get anything from, even though she begged.

 Here's the doctor checking out her temporary cast.

Then it was off to get another xray.

Of course, this particularl patient had one or two or a thousand questions, so the doctor and xray technician went over the xrays with her (and me!)

If you look closely you can see that on the middle xray in particular that there is a slight bulge at her wrist.

Here's the doctor cutting off the temporary cast.

Check out the bruising.

And on goes the permanent cast.

The temporary cast had been very itchy, but thankfully the real cast was not!  
It did, however, put a slight downer on Olivia's very first overnight camp experience at the end of June, as she wasn't supposed to go swimming or get it wet.  (She did manage to sweet talk them into putting some sort of cover on her cast and she was in the water a little bit)

On July 5th we went back to the hospital to check if her cast was ready to come off.  We knew it wasn't very likely, but there was a chance.  So, we snapped some pictures of all the autographs, just in case.

More xrays and the verdict was - not quite, one more week.

In the meantime, we got creative so she could still enjoy the summer.

Finally, on July 12th, we went back in and the cast came off!

Happy one year castiversary!

1 comment:

Shristhi Ahuja said...

Thank God you took her at the right time to a doctor and everything was right. But still she suffered for one year. I really enjoyed reading your post.

B&B Brugge


Related Posts with Thumbnails