Wednesday 20 March 2013

Book Review: Firefly Island by Lisa Wingate


About the Book:  Sometimes love takes you on an adventure completely off the map.

Mallory Hale's life quickly veers off course when she falls hopelessly in love. After a whirlwind romance, Mallory finds herself leaving the bustle and action of Capitol Hill for the remote town of Moses Lake, Texas-with husband, stepson, and a U-Haul in tow.

A sweet, mishap-filled journey into marriage, motherhood, and ranch living ensues, and Mallory is filled with both the wonderment of love and the insecurities of change. But what she can't shake is the unease she feels around her husband's new boss, Jack West. Jack's presence-and his mysterious past-set her on edge, and when hints of a scandal emerge, Mallory finds herself seeking answers . . . and comes to realize that the middle-of-nowhere home she wasn't sure she wanted is the very place she'll risk everything to save. 

My Thoughts:  I'm a bit conflicted with this one.  I loved the storyline (though I did feel that the ending was somewhat of a let down), enjoyed all the heroines and loathed all the villains, but I didn't really enjoy Wingates style of writing. At least not always.  Sometimes I did really enjoy it, and other times I didn't.  Very helpful, right?  This is totally a personal preference so don't let that deter you.  Her style sometimes reminded me slightly of Anne Voskamp (whose writing style many people adore).  I just don't think most people in real life are that in tune with other people's emotions, thoughts or motives.  Some people might think in prose style language, but I don't, and I guess I also don't "get it" either.  Well, I get it, it just doesn't do anything for me.  I think I like that style of writing more when she was describing scenery and things like that, but not so much when it was inner dialogue.  If that makes sense.  But like I said, that's just a personal preference.  If you enjoy that style of writing, then you will love this book!

Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails