Saturday 8 October 2011

Storage ideas

We are beginning construction on our new house. Yes, again! This will be our sixth house in this town. The first was built in summer 1998, the second over the winter of 2001/2002, the third in late fall 2004, the fourth in over the winter of 2006/2007, the fifth the fall of 2007 and now the sixth one will be over the winter of 2011/2012. Which means that the house we're currently living in is a record for us at 4 years - crazy!

Anyway, we will likely put our current house up for sale shortly, at least just on kijiji. If it doesn't sell now, we'll likely put it on the market at the end of winter or early spring. So, in preparation for the sale, I'm in the process of doing some major decluttering! I totally should've taken some before pictures because the changes have been dramatic so far, and I'm not done yet!

The first project was our mudroom. For anyone that's been to our house, you likely remember the shoe store we had going on in there, we had so many shoes! Between flip flops, Sunday sandals, regular sandals, outdoor runners and four kids - well, you can imagine! So, I let each kid keep one pair of flip flops, and their outdoor school runners in the mudroom, everything else had to go in their bedroom closets - and I got rid of one large garbage full of shoes they either no longer wore, no longer fit or were worn out. We can actually close the mudroom doors now!

Then I also decluttered one of our countertops that had paper clutter just multiplying all over the place.

Now I'm working on the office. That's taking a little longer.

In the process, I've also been looking up some pretty neat storage solutions. Here's some of my favourites....

Totally getting Nathan to build me this laundry basket dresser for our new laundry room (which will be complete with flooring and a window!)


Great idea for a mudroom, I think I'd use some prettier baskets (also available at the dollar store).



And check out this charging station - our phone desk needs this in a bad way!!



Innovative use of a spice rack for office or craft room storage...



Slipcovers for crates...



Turning every day containers into beautiful storage options...



Great idea for anything from craft paper to cd's to baby blankets to school projects to games with broken boxes....



And, I don't know about you but our puzzle boxes are forever falling apart, so here's an idea for how to store them, and still know which puzzle you're taking out!



Feel free to let me in on any of your favourite storage solutions!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails