Monday 15 October 2012

Book Review: Life with Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher

About the Book: Book 1 in the ‘Adventures of Lily Lapp’ series.

Lily is six in this story, just starting first grade in a one-room schoolhouse in upstate New York. Her parents are busy building a farm, and soon animals join the family—Jenny the cow and Chubby the miniature horse. A baby brother arrives, too, which Lily has mixed feelings about. (She wanted a sister!) Aside from a mischievous friend like Mandy Mast, Lily is happy at school and even happier at home. 

Trouble is brewing at the schoolhouse and change is on the horizon for Lily and her family.

My Thoughts: Life with Lily reminded me of an Amish version of the Little House on the Prairie books (which I loved growing up!), but this is a simpler, faster, lighter read.  

What is fascinating about this book is that it is based off the real lifestyle of little girls growing up in Amish communities right now, in this day and age, not years in the past.  

It's definitely written from a child's perspective, and therefore easier language and sentence structure, so I found it a little hard to maintain interest in it for myself, but I'm looking forward to giving it to my daughters to read and see what they think!

Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails