Saturday 21 February 2015

Book Review: Remember the Lilies by Liz Tolsma

About the Book:  Can Irene and Rand stave off starvation until the American troops bring freedom?

Interred by the Japanese, missionary Irene Reynolds comes across a mysterious note while working at the censor's office. She memorizes the parts she must black out and delivers it to wealthy nightclub owner Rand Sterling. Before she knows what's happening, she's drawn into a web of secrets and danger.

Rand Sterling wants nothing more than to reopen his nightclubs once the war ends. But slimy Frank Covey wants his hand in the till---and has news that could threaten Rand's reputation if it became public. More importantly, beautiful and intriguing Irene Reynolds cannot discover this information if he expects to persuade her to become his wife.

When Irene is attacked by a sinister Japanese guard and their secrets are exposed, they must learn the true meaning of forgiveness---if they can stave off starvation until the American troops bring freedom.


My Thoughts: I was very interested in reading this book, particularly after watching and reading Unbroken, the story of Louis Zamperini and his experience of being a prisoner of war in a Japanese camp.  I must admit to being a bit disappointed.  

The book was good and a decent read, and maybe my expectations were simply too high, but the story line was a bit slow moving for me; the characters were rather shallowly developed; I didn't gain a strong attachment to any of the characters; the dramatic portions of the storyline could have been written with more, well, drama; and I felt like there needed to be a bit more of an explanation about how, why, and when they all ended up in the internment camp.  The story just didn't capture me like I was expecting it to.


Thank you to Litfuse Publicity for organizing this tour and providing me with my complimentary review copy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails